A classic Chinese cold dish that goes great with our dumplings. Smacking the cucumbers creates uneven edges and allows the flavours of the dressing to be better absorbed.
- 1 whole cucumber
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- finely chopped coriander
- Toasted sesame seeds
- House made Chilli Oil
1. Chop both ends off the cucumber score it 4 times lengthways and then smack it until it splits apart using the flat side of a cleaver, large chef’s knife or rolling pin (cover with a clean tea towel to prevent splatter!).
2. Cut the cucumber diagonally into bite-sized chunks and transfer to a bowl.
3. Season with vinegar, salt and sugar and leave to lightly pickle for at least 15 minutes. (You can do this step a day in advance!)
4. Drain off the liquid from the cucumber then add the soy, sesame oil, garlic, ginger & coriander, mixing well.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and a drizzle of chilli oil.